If you had your heart set on something handmade this Mother’s Day but left it a little too late to order anything, why not try making your own? This month’s tutorial shows you how to make a simple decoration and is suitable for anyone who can use back-stitch. This can also be done on a sewing machine but I find it relaxing to work by hand.
You will need:
- Pink felt (you can choose whatever colour your mum will like)
- sew-on decorative elements
- embroidery thread (or ribbon) in keeping with your colour scheme
- Cotton (I used a stand-out colour for a decorative effect, you can use same colour as your felt if you like)
- Cookie cutter or template
- Stuffing (you can use pillow stuffing but all items should be available in HobbyCraft)
- Optional: essential oils
Fold your felt in half and draw around your shape with tailors chalk (available super cheap from craft stores)
Pin inside your outline and cut out your shape.
Separate your two pieces and position your embellishments where you’d like them before pinning into place and sewing.
Place your two pieces together and pin into place, leaving a gap at the top to stuff/insert your embroidery thread or ribbon.
Back-stitch (or machine sew) around the edge of your shape (remember to leave a gap for stuffing)
Get bits of your stuffing and start filling your heart. If you want to you can add some essential oil. I used lavender. Carefully use a pencil to push the stuffing in and make sure it’s evenly distributed before sewing up the gap.
This idea is highly adaptable. You can attach all sorts of things, even add beads for a bit of sparkle. Craft shops usually have ready-made shapes for you to buy so you can skip the delicate cutting out and get straight to the sewing.