This month I’m showing you how to make your own spring decorations. These clay butterflies are super easy to make and would make a lovely handmade gift for someone.
You will need:
- Polymer clay in two or more colours (such as Fimo or Premo)*
- Thin ribbon or embroidery thread
- A small rolling pin (or even a pencil will do!)
- Something to make holes (such as a large safety pin)
- A cookie cutter
* A more eco-friendly alternative to polymer clay is air-dry clay. I’ve noticed it now even comes in different colours, take a look at hobbycraft’s selection here: link
Take a chunk of each of your coloured clays and warm them between your hands until pliable. Roll your clay into a sausage shape and twist, working the clay until you get a marbled effect.
Roll your clay out evenly using your rolling pin and place your cookie cutter over the clay, before pressing down firmly.
Carefully pull away the excess clay (save this, you can use it to make unique beads!)
Poke a hole in the top of your shape (depending on your shape you may need two) and thread some colourful embroidery thread or ribbon through and knot the ends.