Product name: Derwent Pastel Collection
Price: £16.00 – £53.98 (for 24 piece set)
About: A tin containing 24 pieces: 8 conté-esque hard sticks, 14 pastel pencils, 1 sharpener, 1 putty rubber
- If, like me, you tend to use a lot of detail then pastel pencils are for you! I found I had much more control than when using stick pastels and was able to do finer details.
- Whilst pastels can be quite mucky, the beauty of these pencils is that they leave your hands clean.
- This set can be pricey, and prices range hugely depending where you look.
- Availability of individual/replacement pencils can be limited. My local hobbycraft didn’t stock them.
- One thing I feel would make the set more complete is a blending stump.
- Not suitable for large areas.
This set gave me an excuse to get stuck in to a medium I don’t use of a regular basis. It’s suited to those who’ve dabbled, but want to gain more experience in this medium, and those who have struggled with larger pastel sticks. This set is great for detail enthusiasts, rather than those who prefer to work on a larger scale, and more for those with a real interest in art as opposed to being something you drag out on a rainy day for the kids. Although not my favourite medium, I enjoyed experimenting, and plan to use them again.
Osnir Narcizo ‘Heisenberg’
Hannah (Melomiku) ‘Tobi the Recon/Spy’
Susan Mitchell – ‘Work in progress’